Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Book Review - Stupid Cupid by Rhonda Stapleton

Via
I should have known better than to read this book.  It's just not my type of book.  The cover screamed "you'll hate this", and the premise of a girl getting Cupid powers and setting up her friend with three guys at once.... just didn't appeal to me.  But, it was a book club book, so in fairness to the rest of my fellow book-clubbers, I suffered through it.  

The book is advertised as Young Adult, though I found the writing (and the attitudes/reactions of the main characters) more along the lines of a middle school-age reader.  One of the discussions we had during the meeting was why it was labeled Young Adult.  It was decided that the "sexual innuendo" where the parents are found lying naked on top of each other along with a scene where the protagonist states she needs to sleep with music to ignore the noises from her parents' room was what pushed it to the YA classification.

Other than the writing, I found the stupidity of the main character to be beyond belief.  She is given three rules with her Cupid powers - 1) she can't talk about being a Cupid, 2) she can't match herself with anyone and 3) she can only match two people together at a time.  Three rules.  And she goes right ahead and breaks rule three.  Now, this is not a situation where she didn't think the powers worked - she had already matched people together!  She just decides to disregard one of THREE rules and is surprised there are problems!  Ugh.

In case you hadn't caught on, I did not like this book. 

No comments: