Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Thoughts on Pets

Someone (who has children) once said that my advice on cats was as good as gold - as my cats are akin to my children.

It is an interesting thought.

They are the ones I come home to - I have joked frequently that if I didn't talk to my cats, I wouldn't speak on weekends... They are my family - I know their voices and what kind of food they like to eat.  I know where to find them if they are hiding and am acutely aware of changes in behavior.

I get panicky at the vet - worried that something may be wrong.

I search immediately for the source of a sneeze, or unusual noise.  I unconsciously do a head count every once in a while.  I know when the full moon is because they lose their minds during that period.

I know each of their personalities - the way Lady sleeps against the PS3, Sheila curled up in my lap, and Oliver on my feet.  Oliver likes belly rubs, Sheila just wants to snuggle and have a pat on the head, and Lady wants her face/head scrubbed.  Sheila doesn't like to play - but Oliver and Lady romp about all the time.

They are my family.  My source of comfort.  The reminder that I am not alone.  Their safety and health is my priority.  So I guess, yes, they are my children.

No comments: