Saturday, September 28, 2013

Apartment Decor

I have been thinking a lot about my apartment's decor.  Right now it's a mishmash of stuff that I have accumulated over the years.  Nothing is painted, nothing really goes together.  It's just in the only place I could think to put it.  But, as I have decided to make this my home until I buy a house, I must start putting things in an aesthetically pleasing way.  I've been obsessing on Pinterest trying to define a style so I can perhaps start making changes to the apartment.

My 101 in 1001 list touches on this - for instance, #2, #12, #13, #26, etc.  I want nothing more than to live in a space that I can be proud of.  A space that makes me excited to have guests.  Not flinch at the idea of what others see when they step into my place.

My apartment is wonderful, but it has its quirks.  I need to learn to work around it.  I'd love to pay attention to psychological effects of colors and bring in some feng shui.  I came across this infographic - and it's really interesting.

 Psychology of Color [Infographic]
Courtesy of NowSourcing, Inc


I've been leaning towards green in my bedroom, so it's nice to see that there is a reason.  I have a big dresser that I adore, but that needs some serious TLC.  I am hesitant to do so because it belonged to my mother, and I don't want to screw anything up.  Another consideration is that it's old.  I think at one point my mom told me it was about 100 years old.  Even more reason to not want to screw anything up.  Also most of the alterations I would want to do require some sort of paint or staining or sanding or something that needs to be done in a well ventilated area.  My apartment is not a well ventilated area, and the weather doesn't really allow for stuff to happen for very long outside.  It's a conundrum.

I'll be sure to keep you in the loop while I go.

-Gingko

No comments: