Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Sleepy Sleepy Sleepy

I went to the sleep doctor yesterday... apparently, I definitely have some sort of sleep disorder.  It could be narcolepsy, sleep apnea (unlikely, but still possible), or a fancy name for Unknown Sleep Disorder.

Now, when I think of narcolepsy, this is what jumps into my head:



But that's close to what I've been experiencing... the sudden, uncontrollable urge to sleep.  I can fight it with the right combination of physical activity, mental activity, and general "upbeat" atmosphere (I find that music with a good, moving beat and no lyrics helps), but there's only so long I can fight it without consequences - I begin to fall apart.  My body begins to give out - I get shaky; I get nauseous; the pain increases.  My mind stops being able to function: words are lost, concentration shattered.

I need to sleep.

And I sleep anywhere from 10 minutes to 6 hours.

Sometimes all day.

It's devastating.

And anything I do can have lasting effects - days where I cannot do anything but nap and lie around.  I am hoping to try a 5k this weekend just to try.  It'll be the slowest I've ever done, but I will have done it.  That's the plan at least.  I need to prove to myself that I can be something other than this ghost of myself and that yes, I will get back to where I was physically.

No comments: